Prof. Dr. Şahin Uçar
Birth place and date: Acıyurt, Sivas, 1949, Turkey.
- Ph. D: “Arab Invasions to Anatolia between 640-75O A.D.” Erzurum , Turkey, 1982.(Published in Turkish: Anadolu’da İslam-Bizans Mücadelesi, İşaret yy., İstanbul,1992).
- M. A.: Ataturk University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, History Department, Erzurum, Turkey, 1979.
- B.A : Istanbul University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, History Department, Istanbul, Turkey, 1972.
- It was a privilige of destiny that he had been privately tutored by the last Ottoman Citizens who were acknowledged artists and scholars (While he was a student at Istanbul University, 1968-72) :
Karapapak / Azeri dialect of Turkish Language:
- İshak Uçar (his father): Karapapak Dialect of Turkish ((because he was Karapapak and şahin uçar was born in a karapapapak village; id est: Anatolian dialect of Turkish had been his second language) Turkish & Reading Practice, Sivas, 1956-60.
- Musa Yılmaz (his stepfather): Gülistan, written by Şeyh Sadi-i Şirazi, Sivas, 1967.
- Şerh-i Mesnevi, (interpretation of Mesnevi by Tahir ül-Mevlevi), Sivas, 1968.
- Mehmet Nuri Yılmaz: Rind ü Zahid (Fuzuli), Beng ü Bade (Fuzuli), Hafız Divanı, Erzurum, 1976.
- Musa Göktolga: (Niece of Musa Yılmaz) , Maide from Tefsir’ul-Celâleyn (interpretation of Koran by Celaleyn), Sivas, 1967-68.
- Naim Gölleroğlu: Emsile, Bina, Maksud /Arabic grammar books of traditional Medrese style, Erzurum, 1976
- Mazhar Taşkesenli: Elfiye (Arabic Grammar written in poetry form by Imam Malik) Erzurum,1977.
- In addition to this private language tutoring he had studied in the department of Arabic-Persian Philology at the Istanbul University, Faculty of Literature and had been certified , 1968-71.
- Mrs. Metzger: Conversation Practice at the International Students Center of Princeton University, New Jersey, USA, 1980.
Russian Language (Conversation Practice):
- Mrs.Galina: Çimkent, Kazakistan, (September, November, December)2004.
- Mrs. Tatyana: Çimkent, Kazakistan, (February, March, April) 2005.
Kazakh dialect of Turkish Language:
- Bekcigit (translator of his lectures at the Çimkent University):Çimkent, Kazakistan, 2004
- Kurban (his Kazakh friend as a roommate at Çimkent Hospital),Çimkent, Kazakistan, 2005.
- In addition to self-education, he had made “conversation practice” also; by the way of conversations with his calligraphy and music masters who were very old aged; id est, once upon in a time, they had been young Ottoman Citizens.
- Self educated. So, it remained at the beginners level…
- Ord. Prof. Dr. Süheyl Ünver, Istanbul 1968-72.
- Süheyl Ünver, Ornamental Kufi Calligraphy, Istanbul 1968-72.
- Kemal Batanay, Talik, Istanbul 1969-72.
- Hâmid Aytaç, Sülüs , Istanbul 1970-72.
- Mehmet Receb Berk, Nesih, Istanbul 1970-71.
Ottoman Music In the Traditional Style:
- Süheyla Altmışdört, Chorus of Istanbul University, Istanbul, 1968.
- Kemal Batanay, Tanbur (instrument), Ottoman Rhytyms, Repertoire Istanbul, 1969-72.
- Münir Nureddin Selçuk, “İstanbul Fetih Cemiyeti”, Repertoire, Istanbul, 1970.
- Yusuf Ömürlü, “İstanbul Fetih Cemiyeti”, Theory of Music, solfege, Istanbul, 1970.
- Ali Üsküdari, at the “Özbekler Tekkesi” in Üsküdar, Repertoire, Istanbul, 1971.
- Cahit Atasoy, Solfege of Western Music, Istanbul, 1971.
- Nezih Uzel, Beyati Ayin, Saba Ayin, Acemaşiran Ayin, Pencugah Ayin, Istanbul, 1970-72.
- At “Istanbul Milliyetçiler Derneği”, with musician friends, Mystical Sufi Music, Hymns and rituel Mevlevi Music, İstanbul 1968-70.
- At the Conservatory of Istanbul Municipiality, beginning from the third class after a special examination, Nevzat Atlığ, İsmail Hakkı Özkan, Süheyla Altmışdört, Dürdane Altan, İstanbul, 1972.
- Azeri Hanende Mehmet Hüseyin Berk, Music in the traditional Azeri style, İstanbul, 1972.
- Saatçi Hüsnü Usta, Two Instrumental Composition of Tanburi Cemil Bey, Sivas, 1973.
- Neyzen Akagündüz Kutbay, during forty-five nights, conversations about musical aesthetics, İstanbul, 1978.
- Şahin Uçar is a distinguished artist in various fields of fine arts as well. He has written poems in traditional and modern style, using the penname Şeyda. In the field of classical style poetry, he is known as the only living court poet. His calligraphy and ornamentation (Hat ve Tezyinat) were displayed in an exhibition organized under the patronage of Governor of Ankara (1989). His classical Ottoman music compositions have been reviewed and accepted by TRT (Turkey’s official Radio and Television Broadcasting) (1987). Encyclopedia of Classic Turkish Music (written by Yılmaz Öztuna) Encyclopedia of Turkish Literature and Encyclopedia of Turkish Writers include his biography. Various anthologies also include his poetry.
- Turkish (Ottoman dialect of Turkish , Azeri/Karapapak dialect of Turkish, Kazakh dialect of Turkish)
- Russian (at the beginners level)
- Latin (beginners level)
- Professor, Haliç University, İstanbul, 2015-2017
- Professor, International University of Sarajevo, Sarajevo, BiH, 2008
- Professor at Hoca Ahmet Yesevi University, Çimkent, Kazakhstan, 2004.
- Gebze High Technology Institute, he has given master lessons at the Departmant of Strategy, “Philosophy of the State”, Gebze, Turkey, 2004.
- Director of the Sophia Higher Islamic Institute and related three High Schools, Sophia, Bulgaria, 2002.
- Gebze High Technology Institute, master lessons at the Departmant of Strategy, “Philosophy of State”, “History and National Strategy”, Gebze, Turkey, 2001.
- President of The Center for Islamic Studies and Encyclopedia of Islam (Website of the Center: www.isam.org.tr ) Istanbul, Turkey, 2001.
- Advisor for the Head of the Foundation of University, Hoca Ahmet Yesevi Turk-Kazakh University, Ankara, Turkey, 1999.
- Professor, Hoca Ahmet Yesevi University, Head of the History Department, Turkistan, Kazakhstan, 1999.
- Deputy Rector of Nigde University, Nigde, Turkey, 1995.
- Dean, Faculty of Economy, Nigde, Turkey, 1994.
- Director of the Social Sciences Institute, Nigde Üniversity, Nigde, Turkey, 1994.
- Professor: Faculty of Pedagogy , Niğde Üniversitesi, Nigde, Turkey, 1993.Associate Professor: Department of History, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey, 1988.
- Assistant of Associate Professor: Selçuk University, Head of the History Department, Konya, Turkey, 1983.
- Doctor: Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of history, Atatürk University, Erzurum, Turkey, 1982.
- Specialist of Paleography and Epigraphy: Department of Turkish Language and Literature, Ataturk University, Erzurum,Turkey, 1976.
- Teacher of the History of Arts : Teachers’ high school, Sivas, Turkey, 1975.
- Teacher of Music: 4 Eylül High School, Sivas, Turkey, 1974.
- Teacher of Social Knowledge: 4 Eylül Secondary School, Sivas, Turkey, 1973.
- Teacher of Music: Yeni Levent High School, Istanbul, Turkey, 1972.
- Teacher of Primary School: Acıyurt Village’s School, Acıyurt, Sivas, Turkey, 1967.
- Şeyda Divanı[Traditional Ottoman Poetry; “Şeyda” is Uçar’s penname], added as an appendix to this edition also, “Ru’yâ ve Gerçek”, Sivas 1980, second edition, Nigde, 1997. And enlarged third edition titled as Divan,by Domino yy., Istanbul, 2007, Divan, Şûle yy., Istanbul,november, 2011
- Patterns and Trends in History [a manifesto of his historical worldview as a long article written for the colloqium of historians at Fırat University), Elazıg, 1984. (Published as a long article in 1986 at S.U. Edebiyat Dergisi, Konya) Second edition is published as in book format, 2004; and the third edition by Domino yy., Istanbul, 2007.
- Anadolu’da İslam-Bizans Mücadelesi,[Struggles between Islam and Byzantium in Anatolia], İşaret yy., İstanbul, 1990. Enlarged second edition with a new title “Araplar’ın Anadolu Seferleri”, by Domino yy., Istanbul, 2007, third editition by Şule yy., istanbul, january 2012
- Tarih Felsefesi Açısından İslamda Mülk ve Hilafet, [Sovereignty and Caliphate in Islam from the Perspective of the Philosophy of History], Konya, 1992. (awarded as the best book of the year by the Writers Union of Turkey), Second edition İz Yy., İstanbul , 1996. third edition, “Tarih Felsefesi Açısından Mülk ve Hilafet, by Domino yy., Istanbul, 2007, And the fourth edition by Şûle yy. Istanbul, july, 2011
- Tarih Felsefesi Yazıları, [Essays on the Philosophy of History], Vadi yy., Ankara, 1994. Enlarged second edition is titled as Tarih Felsefesi Meseleleri , [Issues in the Philosophy of History] Nehir yy. İstanbul, 1997. And the third edition again, titled as Tarih Felsefesi Yazıları, by Domino yy., İstanbul, 2007.
- Varlığın Ma’nâ ve Mazmûnu, [Meaning and the Symbolic Meaning of Existence] (his second book awarded as the best book of the year by Turkish Writer’s Union) İz yy, Istanbul, 1995. Enlarged second edition’s title is Varlığın Anlamı , by Domino yy., İstanbul, 2007. Third Edition: Varlığın Anlamı , Şûle yy., Istanbul, november, 2010
- Hüküm Gecesi (poems in modern Turkish), Konya, 2002. Much enlarged second edition’s title was Mâlihulyâ, Ötüken yy., İstanbul, 1997. And enlarged Third edition’s title is Sen Şarkını Söyle, by Domino yy., İstanbul, 2007.
- İnsanın Yeryüzü Macerası, [Mankind’s Adventure of the World] Gelenek yy., Istanbul, 2003. Second edition by Domino yy., İstanbul, 2007, Third edition by Şûle yy., Istanbul, 2011
- Kültür, Teknoloji ve Sanat Yazıları [Culture, Technology and Art Essays], Domino yy., Istanbul , 2007.
- Dil ve Felsefe, [Language and Philosophy], by Domino Yy., İstanbul, 2007; second edition Şule yy., Istanbul, april 2012
- Columbia University, Invited Guest and Round-Table Discussant at “Symposium on the Middle Eastern Music”, New York, 1980.
- Invited guest at Harvard University, “Application of Islamic Law in the Ottoman Empire”, Harvard Law Faculty Boston, 1998.
- Columbia University, Round Table Discussant for the Presentation of “Young Turks” by Professor Şükrü Hanioğlu, Princeton University, New York, 1998.
- “Patterns and Trends in History”, presentation of a paper on historical perspective, written for Historians Colloqium, Fırat University, Elazıg, 1984.
- “Youth and Alienation”, paper presented on symposium, Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, 1985.
- “Historical Thought and Education in Modern Turkey” , International Symposium of History, Turkish History Institution (Turk Tarih Kurumu), Ankara, 1986.
- “Culture and Technology”, Conference, City Hall of Konya, Konya, 1989.
- “On Donations and Foundations”, a Conference at Nigde University, Nigde, 1993.
- “Şeyda Divanı” (A speech made by him on his own Divan, that is, about his poems in the traditional way of classical ottoman poetry)”, at the Symposium on the Great poet Fuzuli, Turkish Writer’s Union, Istanbul, 1994.
- “Epistemology, History and Metaphysics”, a Conference at the Turkish Assembly of Philosophy, Ankara, 1995.
- “On the meaning and symbolic meaning of existence” paper presented at the Symposium of Islamic Thought, Trabzon, 1995.
- “ Image of Islam in the World and the Future of Mankind” paper presented at the “Image of Islam in the World ” Symposium prepared by Turkish Religious Affairs Presidency, Turkish Religious Affairs Foundation , Ankara, 1995.
- “On the symbolic meaning”, a conference given at the Server Foundation, Ankara, 1996.
- “Sacred, Society and Metaphysics” a paper presented at the Symposium on Democracy, Ege University, İzmir, 1996.
- “On Philosophy of Law”, a conference given for Lawyers’ Community, Istanbul, 1998.
- “On my Philosophy of History” a conference given at the Turkish Writer’s Union, Ankara, 1999.
- “Man, Being and Time”, paper presented at the Symposium of Philosophy, Turkish Assembly of Philosophy, Ankara, 2000.
- “What is the current situation of the studies on the philosophy of history, in Turkey?” a conference at the Turkish Literature Foundation, Istanbul, 2001.
- “On Globalization”, guest speaker at the “Globalization” Symposium, presented at Islamic Research Foundation, Istanbul, 2001.
- On History”, a conference given at Research Center for Islamic Studies while he was president of that center, Istanbul, 2002.
- “Culture, Technology and the Future of Mankind”, Gebze High Technology Institute, Gebze, 2004.
- 7 conferences about Philosophy of History, Atatürk Kitaplığı, İstanbul, 2009-2010
- on The Philosophy of History of Tolstoy, Karadeniz Teknik University, december 2012
- Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy, Umraniye Culture Center, 28 february 2012
- Sovereignity and Caliphate, Umraniye Culture Center, 21 march 2012
- Scholars, dictators and ignorant people, Umraniye Culture Center, 24 april 2012
- Twice, he had been awarded By the Turkish Writer’s Union: first, for his book, “Tarih Felsefesi Açısından İslamda Mülk ve Hilafet”, [Sovereignty and Caliphate in Islam from the Perspective of the Philosophy of History], Konya, 1992, (awarded as the best book of the year by the Turkish Writer’s Union); and again,“Varlığın Ma’nâ ve Mazmûnu”, [Meaning and the Symbolic Meaning of Existence] Iz Yy., Istanbul, 1995 (his second book awarded as the best book of the year by Turkish Writer’s Union).
- America, as sabbatical visiting professor at Princeton University, 1980.
- Syria, 1992.
- Turkmenistan, 1994.
- Iran, invited by Turkish Writer’s Union, 1995.
- Cyprus, 1995.
- America, 1998.
- Kazakhstan, as professor of History at H.A.Yesevi University, 1999.
- Syria, 2000.
- Bulgaria, as Director of Sophia High Islamic Institute, 2002.
- Kazakhstan, as professor of History at H.A.Yesevi University, 2004.
- Bosnia i Hersegovina, as professor at Intenational University of Sarajevo, 2008
Some Social activities:
- A concert playing with Lute in Princeton Inn and Princeton University International Center, Princeton, America, 1980.
- His calligraphy and ornamentation (Hat ve Tezyinat exhibition) were displayed in an exhibition organized under the patronage of Governor of Ankara, 1989.
- He has been invited many times as a poet (by Turkish Writer’s Union) for symposiums of poetry and read his poems in those gatherings (some of them in foreign countries).
- He has written many articles for daily newspapers like, Yeni Düşünce, Zaman, Sağduyu, Ayyıldız, Yeni Şafak and made some appearences in broadcasting Radio and TV channels:
- Conversations about Poetry With the Principal of Religous Affairs M. Nuri Yılmaz at TGRT channel, 1996;
- Middle East Politics & USA, Tempo TV, Adana, Ramazan Taşdurmaz & Şahin Uçar
- With Mehmet Akif İnan about “The poetry book of Malihulya”, written by Şahin Uçar at Channel7, 1998;
- With Mehmed Niyazi “about philosophy of history” in TGRT channel, 2002;
- With Coşkun Üçyiğit about “his biography and works” İstanbul TV channel, Medyametre, at February, 2003
- With Prof. Dr. Muhammed Nurdoğan, about “his biography and his works” TVNET channel, at March, 2007
- With Prof. Dr. Muhammed Nurdoğan, “about his Philosophy of history”, TVNET channel, at March, 2007
- with Salahaddin Yusuf, “about his ideas and books”, haber-7 TV,
- 7 conferences about “his Philosophy of History”, Atatürk Kitaplığı, İstanbul, 2009-2010
- (by clicking this Line, if you wish, you can listen or watch some of these conferences & TV Reportages)
- with Salahaddin Yusuf about “his kûfi calligraphy and art works”, Cine5 TV, İstanbul, 2011. you can watch this reportage at his website.
- on Tolstoy, TRT ARABIC Channel , 5 march 2012
- with Adnan Çoban, on the theory of Music and a musical composition by Şahin Uçar, TV24 , 5 may 2012
- Adventure of the Mankind on Earth, a series of monthly conferences, Ali Emiri Cultur Centre, 2018-2019
Website address on the net :